Marrying a foreigner who is already in the U.S. is allowed – it is not necessary to have any immigration status to marry. Marriage is according to State law and separate from U.S. Federal immigration law. For example, two Italians can marry on a weekend in Las Vegas and return to Italy. Immigration is not a concern and the marriage itself is valid.

There are a variety of different laws that come into play There are a variety of different laws that come into play

In most cases a foreigner who marries a United States citizen will want to remain in the U.S. and apply for a green card based on marriage. In some cases, it can be possible to obtain a green card while in other cases it can be unsafe or even prohibited to remain in the U.S. after marriage. Immigration filings must be handled properly in order for the foreign spouse to reside lawfully in the U.S. on a permanent basis.

If the foreigner enters the United States on either a K1 fiancee visa or K3 spousal visa, the foreigner is welcome to remain in the U.S. and apply for a green card. Eventually the foreign spouse can apply for U.S. citizenship as well.

Entered the US without K Visa?

If the foreigner came to the U.S. without a K visa, it is often necessary and proper to return the foreigner home. He or she would soon after return to the U.S. on a K3 or CR marriage visa. Each U.S. immigration visa has a specific purpose. You should not run the risk of violating immigration laws, thus causing problems for your loved one by using a visa for the wrong purpose.

There can be certain times when it makes sense to try and process a case “state-side” without first returning the foreigner home. Your best choice in how to proceed depends on your situation.

If your foreign fiancee or spouse entered the U.S. illegally or on a visa, but now that visa has expired, you should call us before taking further steps. We provide a free initial consultation, during which we’ll be happy to answer your questions. There are a variety of different laws that come into play.

Call U.S. toll free 1-888-483-0311 (outside U.S. +1 212-483-0311) or use our free consultation form.

Our law firm has been practicing marriage based immigration law exclusively for more than 26 years. We are licensed and qualified experts. For more information on bar waivers read Entered the U.S. Illegally.

We Need To Know

  • When the person arrived in the U.S.
  • What type of visa he or she has
  • When his or her stay in the U.S. will expire
  • Whether he or she has been out of status at anytime
  • If married, when and where the marriage took place

We need this history before we can determine your options. Immigration agencies are “on the prowl”, looking for improper use of a visa when entering the U.S. Each visa has a particular purpose. Some want to “pretend” to visit, but are actually seeking to immigrate to the U.S. based on marriage. Any misrepresentation or misuse of a visa is grounds for a bar from the U.S., married or not.